|Locations - U.K. - Study Site Leicester
MILL LODGELEICESTERSHIRE HUNTINGTON'S DISEASE SERVICEIN-PATIENT AND COMMUNITY SERVICE
|Dr Reza Kiani|
|Consultant Psychiatrist, Principal Investigator|
Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust, Mill Lodge
|Dirección postal:|| ||Mill Lane|
Kegworth DE74 2DZ
|Teléfono:|| ||+44 1509 561615|
|Fax:|| ||01509 561646|
LEICESTERSHIRE AND NORTHAMPTONSHIRE HUNTINGTON'S DISEASE SERVICE
Clinical ServiceInpatient Facilities:
- Assessment, treatment and care for people in all stages of disease.
- Inidivial en-suite rooms in homely 2 x 9-bedded units, with facilities for all domestic needs.
- Snoezelen, Whirlpool Spa Bath and Sensory Garden form part of the facilities that emphasis relaxation.
- Structured activities and outings are scheduled from 9.30am each day. Using the strengths model, skills are maintained and encouraged to develop to promote independence, self reliance and improve self-esteem.
- Dedicated multi-disciplinary (MDT) team supports people in their own homes or care facilities.
- MDT Out-patient clinic is provided.
- Training of staff providing cognitive rehabilitation.
- Family support, education and advice is available and forms part of the Care Plan.
- Support for people with HD,Carers and those at risk.
- The behavioural and psychological aspects of Huntington's disease.
| |Referrals to the HD Service can be completed by a GP, Hospital Consultant, family member, carer or self-referral:
- Initial assessment (usually 1 - 1 1/2 hours) completed in the patients own home, in the presence of a carer/partner or close companion.
- Agreement reached in regard to future contact/needs that is typically multi-disciplinary.
- Outpatients appointment.
- Allocation of HD Specialist Nurse to maintain contact, provide support and involve other professionals as appropriate.
- Continued contact post discharge is organised via HD Community Nurse Specialists and Outpatient Clinics.
The Leicestershire/Northamptonshire Advisory HD Service (forms part of Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust) and provides long term care and contact with patients in all stages, from 'at risk' through to end of life. The disciplines involved include:
Specialist Team includes:
- HD Nurse Specialists
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Administration/Secretarial Support
- Ancilliary Staff
- Research Staff
- Social Services
Mill Lodge is based in the village of Kegworth, half a mile from Junction 24 of the M1.By Air:
2 miles from East Midlands Airport.By Train:
2 miles from East Midlands Parkway Train Station
Research and development:
- Completes annual assessments for people who are involved in the REGISTRY Project.
- Upcoming research projects, including drug trials will be posted here.
- Contributes to Behavioural and End of Life Working Groups.
- Reducing the impact of Psychiatric /Cognitive changes in HD.
- Enriched environment and its role in skill maintenance.
- Improving communication in HD.
- Sharing of Risk information in families.
- Teaching and support of staff to ensure high standards and improved quality of life for people with HD and their families.